Education in Hong Kong

Education system in Hong Kong


Kindergarten education is offered to children in the 3-5 age groups. Kindergartens are run by voluntary organizations or private bodies. The level of charge varies and it is wise to shop around before making a choice. You may click the link below to have more information.

Primary Education

Primary schooling starts at the age around 6. All eligible children are, on application, allocated primary 1 places in government and aided primary schools through the Primary One Admission System. For more information, you may take a look at the Primary One Admission system:


Placement Assistance

Parents can approach schools with vacancies direct for admission, or they can approach the Regional Education Offices of the Education Bureau for placement assistance in seeking school places.


Regional Education Offices

Hong Kong Regional Education Offices


Kowloon Regional Education Offices


NT East Regional Education Offices


NT West Regional Education Offices



Secondary Education

On the completion of primary education, students are, on the application, allocated subsidized Secondary1 places in government and aided schools through the Secondary School Places Allocation System.

Starting from September 2009, the three-year senior secondary academic structure has been implemented at Secondary 4. The senior secondary curriculum which is of “3 years” duration has also been introduced, leading to the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education. This is the examination for students to take after completion of Secondary 6.


Designated School

In recent years, the EDB has been inviting schools which have admitted a critical mass of NCS students to become “designated schools” and providing these schools with focused support to enhance the learning and teaching of the NCS students, particularly in learning of the Chinese Language

For more information, please refer to the support measures for Non- Chinese Speaking (NCS) Stduents inculding the list of Schools admitting Greater Number of Non-Chinese Speaking Children


Higher education

Hong Kong has different education institutions offering higher education, with some are funded by the government while some are self-financed:


Degree-awarding higher education institutions

Diploma/ Higher Diploma & Associate Degree

Vocational Training Council


JUPUS & Non-JUPUS System



Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) is a scheme and the main route of application designed to assist students with Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)


Applicants outside the scope of JUPAS (including non-local students, sub-degree students and persons holding other qualifications) have to apply to institutions direct for admission (commonly known as "non-JUPAS")

Admission of the students is mainly done by individual faculties/departments.  Students are selected based on individual merits in a number of aspects, including their academic attainment (e.g. results in public examinations and secondary schools), performance in interviews and auditions, non-academic achievements, interest and preferences in various academic programmes.


The General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) (Chinese) Examination has been administered in Hong Kong since 2007 for students who would prefer to attain alternative qualification(s) in the Chinese Language by the HKEAA. Starting from 2010, eligible school candidates may take this examination at a reduced fee. For more information about these examinations, you can refer to the link,

Supportive measures for Non-Chinese Speaking Students

The Education Bureau (EDB) is committed to assisting all non-Chinese speaking (NCS) students in adapting to the local education system and integrating into the community as early as possible.

Some NCS students encounter learning difficulties and adjustment problems when they study in local schools. Greater care and help from schools, teachers and parents are required so that these students can adapt to the local education system and integrate into the community quickly. EDB has provided various support services to school administrators, teachers and parents to cater for the common learning and adaptation needs of the NCS students. This information platform provides an electronic channel through which school administrators, teachers, parents and the public caring about the education of NCS students can obtain useful information and related resources more quickly and directly.You can check the following link:

Display # 
# Web Link
1   Link   Kindergarten
2   Link   Primary Education
3   Link   Regional Education Offices
4   Link   Degree-awarding higher education institutions
5   Link   Diploma/ Higher Diploma & Associate Degree
6   Link   Vocational Training Council
7   Link   JUPUS
8   Link   GCSE
9   Link   Education services for non-Chinese speaking (NCS) students