Christian Action initially chose Qinghai because it is one of the *poorest and most disadvantaged provinces in China. Its people experience long and harsh winters, a cycle of debilitating poverty, and a lack of access to basic necessities such as healthcare, education and infrastructure. Even though Qinghai has been progressing in recent years, many places are still undeveloped and there are still a lot of children who are in need.
Our ministry in Qinghai began in 1997. After more than 20 years in service, Christian Action has constructed numerous rural clinics, schools and winter homes for impoverished Tibetans, and provided financial aid to students and medical services to those in need, and is now currently co-managing five children’s homes.
*Because the Gross Domestic Product of Qinghai in 2018 (CNY 28,652,300,000) contributes to about 0.31% of the entire country’s economy, it is considered to be one of the poorest provinces and is ranked 31 out of 32. (source: http://data.stats.gov.cn)
The First 10 Years (1997-2006)
- Signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Xining Civil Affairs Bureau and Poverty Alleviation Bureau
- Built and repaired 10 schools, two clinics and 462 winter homes for poor Tibetans
- Co-managed the first children’s home, Xining Children’s Home in the province
The Second Decade (2007-2016)
- Opened Qinghai’s first children’s rehabilitation centre, serving children in the home and children with disabilities from the Xining community and their parents.
- Education Grant Programme was launched
- A new medical bus was donated to serve as mobile clinic to provide vital medical support to poor and rural areas in Qinghai.
- Signed 10-year service agreement.
- Successfully registered as the 1st foreign NGO in Qinghai under the title "Christian Action (China Hong Kong) Qinghai Representative Office"